Sunday, February 21, 2010

I bee-lieve you'll like this story...

This last week end we stopped at a place called Tain pottery.  It is just outside of Inverness and they do all kinds of patterns.  You can have dinnerware made with your family tartan, even.  I chose this "wee dish" because it reminded me of my Grandma Nana's garden up in the mountains when I was a little girl.  It has the hollyhocks and bluebells and of course, the scottish national flower, the thistle.  I finally learned why the thistle is their national flower.  It has to do with some battle in history when the enemy tried to invade at night and they ended up walking through a field of thistles.  All of their cries of pain woke the Scots and they were able to defend themselves and save the day.  So...the thistle is the "hero" of flowers.